Six more local residents have succumbed to COVID-19 as the number of people who have been hospitalized in the tri-county area hit 1,800 on Wednesday.
Three of the latest fatalities lived in Lake County, while two lived in Marion County and one was a resident of Sumter County. They were identified Wednesday by the Florida Department of Health as:
- 38-year-old Lake County man who tested positive July 11;
- 85-year-old Lake County woman who tested positive Sept. 6;
- 84-year-old Lake County woman who tested positive Sept. 11;
- 93-year-old Marion County woman who tested positive Sept. 8;
- 71-year-old Marion County man who tested positive Sept. 11; and
- 86-year-old Sumter County man who tested positive Aug. 8.
Overall, the tri-county area is reporting 19,629 cases – an increase of 101 in a 24-hour period. Those are divided among 8,656 men, 10,750 women, 78 non-residents and 145 people listed as unknown. There also have been a total of 553 deaths across the local region.
Lake County is now reporting 7,542 cases – an increase of 25 from Tuesday to Wednesday – among 3,466 men, 3,908 women, 51 non-residents and 117 people listed as unknown. A total of 605 cases have been reported in long-term care centers and 262 in correctional facilities. There have been 193 deaths and 586 people treated in area hospitals.
Leesburg is now reporting 1,244 cases – an increase of six in a 24-hour period. Others have been identified in Clermont (1,890), Tavares (740), Eustis (597), Mount Dora (592), Groveland (517), Lady Lake (298), Mascotte (230), Minneola (208), Sorrento (167), Umatilla (155), Fruitland Park (155), Montverde (115), Grand Island (83), Astatula (61), Howey-in-the-Hills (50), The Villages (35), Altoona (33), Yalaha (32), Astor (32), Paisley (26), Okahumpka (16), Ferndale (5) and Mount Plymouth (3).
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activity in the local area:
- Cases: 2,313 – increase of 62
- Men: 1,233
- Women: 1,058
- Non-residents: 10
- People listed as unknown: 12
- Cases in long-term care facilities: 198
- Cases in correctional facilities: 539
- Deaths: 70
- Hospitalizations: 254
- Area/cities with most cases: The Villages (609), Coleman (449), Wildwood (412), Bushnell (299, 138 of which are at the Sumter Correctional Institution among 103 inmates and 35 staff members) and Oxford (133). The federal prison in Coleman also is reporting 366 cases among 260 inmates and 106 staff members.
- Cases: 9,774 – increase of 14
- Men: 3,957
- Women: 5,784
- Non-residents: 17
- People listed as unknown: 16
- Cases in long-term care facilities: 1,006
- Cases in correctional facilities: 2,225
- Deaths: 290
- Hospitalizations: 960
- Cities with most cases: Ocala (7,579), Summerfield (382), Belleview (357), Dunnellon (326) and Citra (187). The Villages is reporting five cases. A total of 1,419 cases also have been reported among inmates (1,318) and staff members (101) at Lowell Correctional Institution and Marion Correctional Institution.
All told, Florida is reporting 706,516 COVID-19 cases – an increase of 1,948 from Tuesday to Wednesday. Of those, 698,051 are residents. A total of 46,845 cases have been reported in long-term care centers and 22,889 in correctional facilities. Across the state, there have been 14,488 deaths and 44,108 people have been hospitalized.