Twelve percent of the COVID-19 cases reported in federal prisons across the United States are at the massive facility in Coleman, which has housed such notable inmates as James “Whitey” Bulger, convicted pedophile Larry Nassar, Somalia pirate Gabul Abdullah Ali, al-Qaeda sympathizer Amine El Khalifi and former U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown.
On Monday, the prison was reporting 141 cases among staff members and 57 among inmates. All told, the federal prison system is reporting 1,268 cases among staff members and 371 among the inmate population.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit the country last year, four Bureau of Prison staff members have succumbed to COVID-19, with one of those being at the Coleman facility. A total of 228 federal inmates also have succumbed to the virus, with five of those being at Coleman.
The complete COVID-19 breakdown at the Coleman prison includes:
- Low-security wing: 56 inmate cases, 28 staff cases, one inmate death, one staff death, 193 inmates recovered and 14 staff members recovered.
- Medium-security wing: 47 staff cases, three inmate deaths, 334 inmates recovered and nine staff members recovered.
- High-security wings: One inmate case, 66 staff cases, one inmate death, 312 inmates recovered and 39 staff members recovered.
All told, Florida is reporting 2,085,306 COVID-19 cases – an increase of 3,480 from Sunday to Monday. Of those, 2,046,280 are residents. A total of 83,184 COVID-19 cases have been reported in long-term care centers and 31,702 in correctional facilities. Across the state, there have been 34,364 deaths and 85,800 people have been hospitalized.
Locally, Marion County is reporting 29,294 COVID-19 cases – an increase of 69 in a 24-hour period. There have been 925 deaths and 1,990 people have been hospitalized.
Ocala is now reporting 21,446 cases – an overnight increase of 22. Others have been reported in Summerfield (1,831), Dunnellon (1,343), Belleview (1,281), Silver Springs (634), Citra (482), Ocklawaha (479), Reddick (302), Fort McCoy (300), Anthony (276), Weirsdale (233), The Villages (183), Salt Springs (49), Flemington (34), McIntosh (30), Orange Lake (24), Sparr (22), Lowell (19), Candler (19), East Lake (11), Fairfield (8) and Orange Springs (8).
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activity in the local area:
- Cases: 65,202 – increase of 91
- Deaths: 1,796
- Hospitalizations: 3,971
- Cases: 27,028 – increase of 45
- Deaths: 611
- Hospitalizations: 1,421
- Vaccinations: 126,846 (78,037 both doses)
- Cities with most cases: Clermont (7,119), Leesburg (4,103), Eustis (2,376), Mount Dora (2,020) and Tavares (1,907).
- Cases: 8,880 – increase of 12
- Deaths: 260
- Hospitalizations: 560
- Vaccinations: 76,057 (54,844 both doses)
- Areas/cities with most cases: The Villages (4,158), Wildwood (1,026), Bushnell (957), Coleman (844) and Oxford (507).